Explore Educational Technology
Our educational technology crew is here to help you! We offer assistance with apps and devices, which support your needs and fit your learning style. Whether you need help with D2L, making a mind map, or using the tech equipment inside the SALT Center, we have you covered. Ask a Tech Coach to show you how to connect your laptop to a LED screen at the Tech Bar or to the large screens at the Collaboration Stations for student group work.
Meet a Tech CoachClick or enter to reveal information below
We offer appointments and drop-in times with student Tech Coaches or with Mary Beth Eustice, the Educational Technology Coordinator.
- Test out a Smart Pen. Find out how to record lectures on your laptop or tablet.
- Get Catmail set up on your phone. Sync your calendars. Organize your email.
- Listen to your readings out loud!
- Tell your computer what to write!
- Mark up your lecture notes and readings with programs or apps.
- Create digital flash cards and timelines.
- Get an app to organize your courses and homework.
Schedule appointments on TutorTrac. Drop-in times are also viewable on TutorTrac.
Pick "Tech Coaching" as the Center.
Select a Section:
- D2L/Blackboard Help
- Read and Write Gold
- Study Apps
- Notetaking for Mac
- Notetaking for PC
- Notetaking with SmartPen
- Time Management/Planning Apps
- UA Mobile/Catmail
- Using Microsoft Excel
Read and Write GoldClick or enter to reveal information below
Do you struggle with reading? Try Text to Speech.
Listen to your reading assignments while the computer reads them aloud. Let us show you how to maximize your options!
Do your ideas flow better when you speak than when you type? Try Speech to Text.
Discover the possibilities.
Get Read and Write Gold for text to speech, speech to text, and much, much more!
The UA software license site provides free access to this software to all of its students to install on their personal devices. Tech Coaches may assist with this and demonstrate how to use Read and Write Gold. Both Windows and Mac versions are available.
- Text-to-speech – you can listen to your documents and web pages
- Create a MP3 of your documents to listen on the go
- Voice recognition – talk to your computer and it types what you say
- Highlighting tools – highlight key points in your document
- Collect Highlights – pull out all your highlights onto a separate document for studying or research
- Dictionary - to look up terms
- Mind Mapping – use the brainstorming mode to quickly organize thought bubbles with the ability to convert them into an outline
Mind MappingClick or enter to reveal information below
Are you a visual learner? Is it difficult to organize ideas and make outlines? Does it feel like a boring chore?
Try creating a Mind Map. Bring your ideas to life with colors, bubbles, diagrams, and images. Re-order them. Move them around. Connect ideas together!
Tech Coaches can show you how to use Inspiration, Read and Write Gold, or mind mapping apps to brainstorm, develop essay structures, or create study guides. They can also show you apps for annotating and creating digital flashcards and timelines.
Borrow a Smart Pen or Try a Note Taking AppClick or enter to reveal information below
Do you miss important points in lectures? Do you struggle with focusing or have difficulty keeping up with the instructor? Try an audio note taking app or a Smart Pen. Never miss a word.
Record lectures; the audio will synchronize as you write or type. Replay all or selected notes. Search your notes for keywords.
Meet with Mary Beth to discuss which option would best fit your needs and style. Check out a Smart Pen for a few days and see how it works for you.